Loafing Around: Cranberry Citrus Walnut Bread

By Jeannette Ordas of Everybody likes Sandwiches

Winter has arrived with gusto. On Friday night it snowed in Vancouver which is a little bit crazy since we rarely get snow during winter – and certainly never this early. It's cold and there's a whole lot of whining going on. Even though I'm from Ontario and not a stranger to snow and cold climes, I understand the complaining. I've been on the west coast for 12 years now, I've acclimatized and I've got the wimpy weather wardrobe to prove it.

So if you are tired of hearing everybody complaining about the weather, bake this loaf. Not only does it warm up the house while it bakes and flavours the air with the heavenly scent of citrus, I'm pretty sure it will stop the whiners in their tracks. And it's a cinch to prepare - after you've chopped your cranberries and walnuts, that is.

I saw this recipe shortly after I woke up this morning. An hour later, it was baking in the oven. An hour after that and I was patting my belly in blissful contentment and letting the accolades roll in. If you like a sweet bread, this isn't like a frosted dessert treat (though you most certainly could up the sugar to suit your sweet tooth). It's also low in fat and I subbed in some whole wheat flour to make it even healthier. But this bread is delicious and would be a nice way to wake up on Thanksgiving morning. Or any morning, really.

Cranberry Citrus Walnut Bread
(adapted from Amy Palanjian's family recipe at ReadyMade)
2 limes, zested & juiced
1/2 grapefruit, juiced
Boiling water
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 F.

Add the lime zest, lime juice, grapefruit juice and enough boiling water to make enough for 3/4 cupful (for me this was just shy of 1/2 cup of fruit juice + the boiling water). Pour into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and whisk until cool. Add in the egg and give everything a good stir.

Dump in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and lightly mix until just incorporated. Stir in the chopped cranberries and walnuts and stir until evenly combined.

Oil up a loaf tin and spoon in the batter. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes. Remove the loaf from the pan and let cool on a wire rack.

Blog Archive

My Zimbio
Top Stories My Ping in TotalPing.com