Fabulous film interior from Sweet Bird of Youth

All pictures from Sweet Bird of Youth (1962), Warner Bros.

I was just going through my photo library and saw these screen shots that I took a while back, from the 1962 film Sweet Bird of Youth. It's classic Tennessee Williams stuff; regrets, secrets and sex, all soaked in bourbon. Much of the action takes place in this rather fabulous St. Cloud hotel suite where gigolo and wannabe actor Chance (Paul Newman) is holed up with washed-up movie star Alexandra (Geraldine Page). I was putting my house together when I saw this film and it captured a lot of what I wanted to do there, specifically using white painted furniture and objects against a backdrop of rich neutrals on the walls, as well as that slightly unspecific colonial look for the furniture. I particularly like the peacock chair - I've a bit of a thing for them - and the carving around the bed. I love the way it manages to be sumptuous and indulgent, while remaining tranquil and easy on the eye.










Blog Archive

My Zimbio
Top Stories My Ping in TotalPing.com