Searching out a shady spot

Please excuse me if I'm not totally coherent in this post, I think my brain is melting. We continue to have extreme, record breaking heat here in the southern parts of Australia. Even tram lines and train tracks have buckled in the heat, causing huge delays for poor commuters. There's been rolling black outs and many of the traffic lights have been out, so I had a rather hairy ride picking my son up from school! Thankfully my son's classroom is airconditioned, and he's a hardy little fella anyway. He started a new school this week, and so far it has been going brilliantly - he loves his teacher and he's made friends, so I have my fingers crossed that this continues.

So while this scorching heat continues, I'm seeking out pictures that look cool. Today I've chosen verandahs. Now in my dream home that I hope to build one day, I would love a big verandah that wraps around the whole house, or most of it anyway, so you can chase the shade all day by moving from one side of the house to another. Here are some pictures of verandahs that make me swoon (and not from the heat!)

There's so many things to love about this verandah - the white painted floors, the exposed beams, the black shutters, the gorgeous exterior light, the swing (what's a verandah without a swing?), the green green plants (cooling!) and some stars! I love stars.


More exposed beams, more shutters, wicker furniture (love it), and a fantastic sweeping view of the ocean. What more could you ask for? Maybe a Pimms and lemonade (nix the cucumber).


Ok, so I'm cheating here, this is more of a pergola and deck, but the effect is the same -somewhere shady to chill out and daydream

This verandah has a cute outdoor setting and some lovely lanterns for when dusk settles into evening

I love the simplicity of this one. I've had this picture for years. Love the masses of french doors leading out to the verandah


This one is mighty fine....more exposed beams, more wicker, somewhere to play cards or have a meal, and somewhere to put your feet up. Take me there now.

Images 1 unknown, 2 unknown, 3 pia jane bijerk, 4 unknown, 5 home beautiful, 6 homes and gardens

One day maybe I'll have my verandah!
Ok, my lovely blogger friends, stay cool if you live down here and stay warm if you live up there!

Blog Archive

My Zimbio
Top Stories My Ping in TotalPing.com