William Ramage’s exhibit is only up through June 30, so hurry if you want to see it! – Ed.
By Liza Myers
William Ramage's current exhibition, The Men's Group explores human perception: how we actually see the world in which we live. In an impressive, large-scale installation, Ramage challenges the rules of linear perspective that have governed artists since the 15th century. He asks us to view the world centripetally. The term refers to drawing into a visual core, into a center, rather than viewing the world linearly, along the traditional lines into a vanishing point.
The space is dominated by a monumental installation, an embracing circle featuring two immense, free-standing arcs of photographs. Simultaneous realities are juxtaposed. The images boggle your sense of reality and space, setting your equilibrium askew.
Additionally, as you walk behind the installation, the gallery walls are hung with the actual stunning, large-scale drawings featured in the photographs. The drawings are a visual feast and impressive body of work unto themselves.
To the uninformed the installation is fascinating, but initially seems odd- slices of imagery adjacent to one another confound the viewer. How can the same grouping of men be standing next to each other in adjacent locations, seemingly at the same time? Who are they, why are they gathered?
The intellectual underpinnings of Ramage's work are deep and complex. In his new book, Seeing, available at Gallery in-the-Field, Ramage quotes Blake, Huxley, Proust, Emerson and more. The philosophical breadth is vast. Within the pages of the book Ramage's artistic thought processes are clarified.
Artists who ask us to see differently challenge our sense of reality. They ask us to step beyond the status quo, beyond confining perceptual limitations. Contemporary visionaries such as Goldsworthy, Turrell, Banksey, and JR ask us to see new possibilities, thus nudging the human race farther along our path, wherever it might lead. Joining an impressive group, William Ramage's exhibition will expand your sense of what is possible.
Gallery in-the-Field is at 685 Arnold District Road (just off Route 7) in Brandon, VT. Hours are Friday - Sunday 12-5 pm and by appointment 802-247-0145
- PRESS RELEASE: Henry Gorski Retrospective, Union S...
- Hello Strawberries, Popsicles, Lemonade, Fresh Cut...
- New Works: Leah Giberson
- Amy Rice Letterpress/Sign Press Contest (of sorts)...
- Modern sofas from Sophisticated Living
- Check out our newest Amish kitchen furniture!
- PRESS RELEASE: New shows at SPACE and BACKSPACE, B...
- Dispatches from Sweden
- Cool Decorating Trick: Drawer Knobs for for Hooks...
- PRESS RELEASE: Unveiling and Opening of work by Ka...
- PRESS RELEASE: Craig Mooney at Gallery North Star ...
- PRESS RELEASE: Deidre Scherer Open Studio in South...
- PRESS RELEASE: Paul Gruhler and Marion Stegner at ...
- O Henry House Upholstery
- Tralhao Furniture
- Baltus furnishing collection
- Northern Lighting
- MD Studio - exhibition design
- Perou - art of portraits
- It's Rainbow Day! #SummerColoursWeek
- Summary Wednesday's Blues
- PRESS RELEASE: Jeri Canfield and Nick Rosato, Art...
- Blue Break #SummerColoursWeek
- New Show: Boreas with Lisa Congdon + Sarah Appleb...
- All Racked Up!
- Mini DIY Round-Up
- A Perfect Getaway, Villa One Twenty...
- Lookbook Correction Notice: bstudio
- For all of you True Blood fans out there if you we...
- Handmade Farm Tables Galore...
- PRESS RELEASE: Renée Bouchard and David Hurwitz at...
- Marvic Textiles
- Keep it Simple: Tomato and Basil Pizza
- Canada Day Inspiration
- July 4th DIY, Printables + Cake!
- #SummerColoursWeek: Blue
- English Garden Galore
- DIY: Reclaimed Wood Dining Table
- Summer Colours Week - Summary Tuesday's Pinks
- A Pink Break #SummerColoursWeek
- Inspiration: Maya Hayuk #SummerColoursWeek
- Download: 3D Papercraft Camping Scene July Calenda...
- New Trimmings from Houles of France
- Muralto - Swiss design for life
- Inax - High Tech toilets & bathroom collection
- Keleen Leathers - leathers walls, floors and inter...
- Coast Modern Film
- Summer Colours Week: Pink #SummerColoursWeek
- Summer Colours Week - Summary Monday's Yellows
- Win 500 Stickers In Our MOO Giveaway!
- A Mellow Yellow Break #SummerColoursWeek
- July Lookbook is here!
- Summer Colours Week Kicks Off Today!
- Too Much Success, Part III
- Peter Fasano Fabrics
- Soak it all in...
- Zigzags and Stags
- Double Trouble
- Press Release: Helen Day Art Center, EXPOSED exhib...
- The cutest house I have ever seen.... ever!
- Dilip Bhatia photography
- A Walk on the Wild Side
- Mignonne Summer Sale Series!! Pop up & Pop In xoxo...
- On a Pedestal ...
- REVIEW: William Ramage at Gallery-in-the-Field in ...
- 3D Animated Photo's by Jaime Martinez
- Margaret Kilgallen: Summer / Selections at Ratio 3...
- PRESS RELEASE: Celebrating 20 Years at FS Gallery ...
- Weekend Project: Midsummer Table
- REVIEW: Edward Koren and Fulvio Testa at Big Town ...
- PRESS RELEASE: Eighteen Riverside Artists Open Stu...
- Link Love!
- PRESS RELEASE: Elizabeth Nelson at White Water Gal...
- Tjep Studio
- Babini office - make your office feel like home
- Hard Graft - Purveyors of fine lifestyle accessori...
- The Cottage Collection: Handpainted Amish Furnitur...
- Sneak Peek: At Your Leisure Zine!
- Houles Drapery Rods
- Obsession of the day: Butcher Block ...
- New Embroidered Arrows from Quivver!
- Papier-mâché Hot Air Balloons by @bekkapalmer of ...
- Art Prize
- Mitchell Kanashkevich's travel photography
- Mini DIY Round-Up!
- New for 2011 from Dessin Fournir
- Celebrity Homes: Courtney Cox ...
- Usona - home collection with good taste
- Comma Workshop Launches Baby Quilt Line
- Elle Decor + Courteney Cox's Malibu Retreat
- Don't forget to write!
- Brittany Powell Goes Nautical
- Household Tip No. 1
- INTERVIEW: Emi River Visits Genese Grill
- A Clean Slate...
- Join us for Summer Colours Week!
- IDSwest Media Preview: Design on Display
- Hand Painted, Hand Crafted Amish Armoires ... It r...
- American Made Furniture - A Sensible Alternative t...
- Coastal Collection from Robert Allen
- ▼ June (280)
- ► 2010 (1178)
- ► 2009 (415)
- ► 2008 (212)
- ► 2007 (69)