let's talk 50s style ... at Mignonne we feature an eclectic assortment of furniture from all epochs ... and we love discovering 50s treasures to transform. It won't surprise you we like our moderne with a French flair ... which means maybe just a smidge of decoration here and there is tolerated!
In judging Mid-Century Modern pieces, remember that form follows function. You'll be watching for rectilinear lines .. long and low. Use of organic materials and shapes with little or no ornamentation. Remember ... this design period followed WWII and some of the resulting challenges included limited access to materials and required frugality. It was now important for pieces to be useful as well as decorative. Decadence wasn't always an option.
We're sharing some photos of French 50s modern credenzas, some gilded dining chairs with a bamboo motif, an example of French (gold paint, satiny fabric) meets 50s modern (use of organic theme and metal fabrication) ...
how about an over the top lighted French wall piece...how's THIS for a French starburst?!
Oh! and a fun, 50s modern chair you'll find on sale at Mignonne (now dubbed our 'skipper' chair for its coastal color and practicality). The aqua blue and white naugahyde accent the modern wood lines. This chair can go beach nautical or 50s modern ... your choice! Click our shop now icon in the sidebar to check it out!
- ► 2011 (1981)
- ► 2010 (1178)
- Etsy: Great Handmade Home Decor Products! Our Pi...
- Last day in Oakland!
- For Sunset Point
- Designer Textiles: Aviva Stanoff's Creations
- Take it indoors
- Garden Delights!
- Teeny tiny cupboards
- Chocolate and vanilla: a perfect pair
- Designer Flowers: Jude Miller's "Botanical Sculpt...
- Stop by our Farewell Oakland reception today from ...
- Eww to ahh
- treasure hunting!
- White flower farmhouse
- Outdoor Fabrics: A New Look Has Arrived!
- NEW!!! Lighting Fixtures From High Point Market!
- Which camp are you in?
- Designer Inspiration: Vaughan Ltd.
- True blue
- Design Style: Inspired Fabrics by Camilla David
- Appreciation of the imperfect
- Mignonne is Moving!
- this is what we do!
- Design Ideas: Great Floor Lamps!
- Sweet blue
- Kitchen dreams
- Current Projects...
- Some Midwest Windmills
- Your next weekend project?
- Fête des Mères
- Designer Fabrics: Hand Printed Cottons !
- Cutting edge style
- Onto BIGGER things
- Some Favorites
- mid-century moderne
- Design Trends: Designer Fabrics In Style Now!
- Alternatives to artwork
- East meets west....in my home
- Start Shopping Online with Mignonne!
- Take Two....
- Designer Ideas: Shades of White
- Follow me.....
- ▼ May (41)
- ► 2008 (212)
- ► 2007 (69)